Happy Septmber 22nd: Bilbo’s Birthday, Hobbit Day, and, in 2021, the Autumn Equinox!
Also see the files @ https://github.com/johnfial/johnfial.github.io/tree/main/lotr_tale_years as I push them!
NOTE: This article is a stub as I build it!
If you are interested, reach out!
keywords: how to read Lord of the Rings day by day according tale of years September 22 Bilbo’s birthday year march 25th
This will probably infringe on the Toliken’s estate’s copyright… :
THE GREAT YEARS , 3018
- 12 Gandalf reaches Hobbiton.
- 20 Sauron attacks Osgiliath. About the same time Thranduil is attacked, and Gollum escapes.
- Mid-year’s Day Gandalf meets Radagast.
- 4 Boromir sets out from Minas Tirith.
- 10 Gandalf imprisoned in Orthanc.
- All trace of Gollum is lost. It is thought that at about this time, being hunted both by the Elves and Sauron’s servants, he took refuge in Moria; but when he had at last discovered the way to the West-gate he could not get out.
- 18 Gandalf escapes from Orthanc in the early hours. The Black Riders cross the Fords of Isen. 19 Gandalf comes to Edoras as a beggar, and is refused admittance.
- 20 Gandalf gains entrance to Edoras. Théoden commands him to go: ‘Take any horse, only be gone ere tomorrow is old!’
- 21 Gandalf meets Shadowfax, but the horse will not allow him to come near. He follows Shadowfax far over the fields.
- 22 The Black Riders reach Sarn Ford at evening; they drive off the guard of Rangers. Gandalf overtakes Shadowfax.
- 23 Four Riders enter the Shire before dawn. The others pursue the Rangers eastward, and then return to watch the Greenway. A Black Rider comes to Hobbiton at nightfall. Frodo leaves Bag End. Gandalf having tamed Shadowfax rides from Rohan.
- 24 Gandalf crosses the Isen.
- 26 The Old Forest. Frodo comes to Bombadil.
- 27 Gandalf crosses Greyflood. Second night with Bombadil. 28 The Hobbits captured by a Barrow-wight. Gandalf reaches Sarn Ford.
- 29 Frodo reaches Bree at night. Gandalf visits the Gaffer. 30 Crickhollow and the Inn at Bree are raided in the early hours. Frodo leaves Bree. Gandalf comes to Crickhollow, and reaches Bree at night.
—Tolkien, J.R.R.. The Lord of the Rings: One Volume (p. 1091). HMH Books. Kindle Edition.